Meet the expert
About the course
What you will learn
- How to model good emotional health for your teens
- Compassion and communication
- How to help your teen build great family and peer relationships
- The ways to help a struggling teen
- How to fulfill your role as an advisor and leader
- A deeper understanding of mental health issues and how you can help
- How to set firm and healthy limits for your teen
- Intentional life planning
International Open Academy courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required to study with us. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you’re already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
Module 1: Your Role As A Parent Of Teens
- 1.1 Welcome and introduction to the course
- 1.2 Understanding how to parent teens
- 1.3 Modeling good emotional health
- 1.4 Compassion for you and your teen
- 1.5 Great communication with your teen
Module 2: Understanding Relationships
- 2.1 Family relationships
- 2.2 Peer relationships
- 2.3 Place and purpose in the community and the world
- 2.4 Understanding gender, race, sexuality and different backgrounds
- 2.5 Relationship with self
Module 3: Taking Care Of Emotional Wellness
- 3.1 Teaching teens where they have control
- 3.2 Teaching teens to problem solve
- 3.3 How to think about resistance
- 3.4 Seven ways to help teens through hard times
- 3.5 Understanding teen mental health issues
- 3.6 Seeking help
- 3.7 Dealing with Bullies
Module 4: Setting Limits
- 4.1 Introduction to setting limits
- 4.2 Discipline and consequences
- 4.3 Social media and video games
- 4.4 Relationship red flags
- 4.5 Assigning chores
- 4.6 Allowances and money management
Module 5: Maintaining Happiness And Optimism
- 5.1 Expanding comfort zones
- 5.2 Being flexible
- 5.3 Seeing the bigger picture
- 5.4 Physical wellness
- 5.5 Intentional life planning
- 5.6 Conclusion and celebration
Who is this course for
- Foster parents
- Parents of teens (or pre-teens)
- Aunts and Uncles
- Scout leaders
- Anyone who will be interacting with teens and wants to have a healthy, happy relationship!
How will it help me
This course will help you understand teens and the pressures that they face, which are quite different than they used to be! Being able to effectively communicate with your teen, to show understanding and the ability to take their problems seriously, is so important. You'll be able to build a better relationship, which in turn will make your house a happier one!
To receive certification, you must:
- Complete every page of the course
- Score at least 55% on the exam at the end of the course
- That's it!
After successfully completing the course, you will immediately receive your PDF course certificate so you can instantly add it to your CV and display your achievement. You can also request a hard copy certificate to be sent to your postal address for a small printing and posting fee.
All our courses are accredited by the International Council for Online Educational Standards - www.icoes.org (accreditation number ICOES/00763/13/36). Most of our courses will earn you credits through Continuing Professional Development (CPD) / Continuing Education (CE). Check for the CPD logo on the course page.
CPD points are accepted and recognized by employers from both the public and private sectors, and academic institutions across the UK and internationally.
International Open Academy is also an officially approved TQUK (Training Qualifications UK) center, with the TQUK Center Number: C001157.
TQUK is a national awarding body recognized by the UK Government and regulated by Ofqual (The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation).
For further details, please visit https://internationalopenacademy.com/accreditation