Meet the expert
About the course
Whether you’re passionate about education, animal rights, or cleaning up the environment, starting your own charity or nonprofit organization is the perfect way to have direct impact on an important cause. Creating a nonprofit, whether big or small, will allow you to control fund allocation, turn your ideas into reality, and inspire change and growth. You’ll also:
- encourage involvement
- spread awareness in your community
- gain valuable business experience
- and create the positive changes you want to see in the world.
In this course, we’ll walk you through all the steps of creating your own charity or nonprofit, from conception through execution.
Good intentions are the starting point, but you’ll need to rely on business savvy and long-term planning for your charity to enjoy meaningful, longstanding success.
What you will learn
- How to identify a problem, turn a concept or idea into mission, and create a viable plan for your charity
- The legal and ethical obligations that a charity must address (for various regions)
- Managing your budgets, and allocating funds to maximize impact
- Building your charity’s brand, including logo, website, and culture
- Low cost advertising ideas that net high results
- Using crowdfunding channels to get your charity off the ground
- How to attract investors, sponsors, and donors to maximize funds
- Planning successful events and fundraises to raise awareness and donations
- Working with affiliates, partners, and sponsors to create campaigns
- Recruiting volunteers, staff, and community support
International Open Academy courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required to study with us. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you’re already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
Module 1: Laying The Groundwork For Your New Charity
- How to Start a Nonprofit Organization: Identifying the Problem and Solution
- Your Mission Statement and Values
- Legal Responsibilities and Ethical Obligations
- Registering Your Charity
- Establishing Governance and Risk Management
- Managing Budgets, Taxes, and Accounting
Module 2: Spread The Word! Marketing And Public Relations Strategies
- Building a Brand: Logos, Slogans, and Culture
- Website 101 for Design, Content, and Traffic
- Digital Marketing: Ads, SEO, and Emails
- Smart Social Media Marketing
- Low-Cost Advertising That Works!
- Generate Buzz with Media and Press
Module 3: Money Talks: Become A Fundraising Phenomenon
- What Are Your Investor Options?
- Establishing Corporate Sponsorships
- Using Crowdfunding Channels
- Writing Successful Pitches and Proposals
- Planning Your Fundraising Campaign
Module 4: Planning $uccessful Fundraisers And Events
- Types of Events for Non-Profits
- Crash Course in Event Planning
- Your Role as the Host
- How to Attract Media, Press, and Local Partners
- Leveraging Affiliates and Sponsors
- How to Network like a Pro
Module 5: Community And Volunteer Engagement
- Recruitment Strategies for Volunteers and Staff
- Your Responsibilities as a Non-Profit Employer
- 20 Best Teambuilding and Leadership Tips
- Getting Support from Your Community
- Tools and Resources
Who is this course for
- Anyone who feels passionate about a specific cause, and want to put their ideas into action
- People who have previously enjoyed volunteering and want to make a bigger impact
- Anyone who feels frustrated that an issue isn’t getting enough attention or funding
- Those who feel compassion towards others and feel fulfilled when they can help
- People who want to gain valuable business and management experience
- DIY personalities who love to start something of their own
If your charity is financially successful, you can earn a salary as a board member, CEO, or other role. While the point isn’t to line your own pockets, you can earn a comfortable living by going from volunteer to employee. Here are other possible career paths for people who start their own charitable organization.
- Working for large NGOs, who usually require previous experience in the nonprofit sector
- Becoming an entrepreneur or small business owner
- Working with the government in various capacities that can be related to your cause or field of interest
- Management positions, where your experiencing managing volunteers, budgets, and events will enhance your resume or CV
- Teaching, health care, law enforcement, and other fields where you can feel good about making a difference
To receive certification, you must:
- Complete every page of the course
- Score at least 55% on the exam at the end of the course
- That's it!
After successfully completing the course, you will immediately receive your PDF course certificate so you can instantly add it to your CV and display your achievement. You can also request a hard copy certificate to be sent to your postal address for a small printing and posting fee.
All our courses are accredited by the International Council for Online Educational Standards - www.icoes.org (accreditation number ICOES/00763/13/36). Most of our courses will earn you credits through Continuing Professional Development (CPD) / Continuing Education (CE). Check for the CPD logo on the course page.
CPD points are accepted and recognized by employers from both the public and private sectors, and academic institutions across the UK and internationally.
International Open Academy is also an officially approved TQUK (Training Qualifications UK) center, with the TQUK Center Number: C001157.
TQUK is a national awarding body recognized by the UK Government and regulated by Ofqual (The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation).
For further details, please visit https://internationalopenacademy.com/accreditation