Meet the expert
About the course
Each year, the reported number of people afflicted with autism increases, and the autism community needs more people who are understanding of the condition and trained to help. Whether you are looking to make a career out of helping autistic people or just want to prepare yourself better for being accommodating to people suffering from autism, our course is for you.
Our online Autism Awareness course is specially designed to give you the education you need to help the autistic community. Whether you are looking to learn more about autism to help an autistic person you love or you are just looking to make a difference with people in the community, we are ready and waiting to help.
Learn about autism and what you can do to help the autistic community.
What you will learn
Our intensive online Autism Awareness course will teach you about:
- The autism spectrum and how to identify where a person fits along it
- How autism affects a person’s social and functional interactions
- The possible causes of autism
- How to treat the different symptoms of autism
- How to create a plan for managing autistic symptoms
- What autism awareness looks like in the classroom
- The community supports that are available to autistic people and their families
International Open Academy courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required to study with us. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you’re already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
Module 1: Understanding The Spectrum
- What is autism?
- Analysing the spectrum
- Learning disabilities
- Social and emotional development
Module 2: The Autistic Environment
- The new model of autism
- Autism spectrum disorders rising
- Toxic body burden
- The government’s role
Module 3: What Causes Autism?
- Is autism caused by nature or nurture?
- Identifying early signs of autism
- Identifying autism in adults
- How does autism affect genders differently?
Module 4: Autistic Behaviour
- How autistic behaviour can be challenging
- Child behaviour and how to identify autism
- Theory of Mind
- Addressing child behaviour
Module 5: Conducting A Functional Autism Assessment
- Descriptive vs. experimental
- Cautions needed before performing an FBA
- Analysing the data
Module 6: Autism In The Classroom
- Inclusion and proper placement
- Differentiated instruction
- Individualised educational plans
- Monitoring success
Module 7: Creating A Positive Support Plan
- Event strategies
- Antecedent strategies
- Behaviour teaching strategies
- Consequence strategies
- Reinforcement and punishment
Module 8: Aging And Long-term Care
- Aging out crisis
- Functioning in society as an adult
- Support systems
- Consultations and legal documents
- Housing options
- Emergency preparedness
Module 9: Medication
- Anxiety and depression
- Behavioural problems
- Inattention and hyperactivity
Module 10: Community Living And Supports
- Family support
- Physical home modifications
- Early intervention programs
- In-home and out-of-home care
- After-school programs
- Behavioural therapy
Who is this course for
Our online Autism Awareness course will help you turn your natural love of helping people into a new career or a rewarding volunteer experience. Young or old, we can help you get the training you need to take the next step towards helping others.
What makes this opportunity even better is that our course is entirely online, meaning you can do all of this on your own time, at your own pace, in your own home. Enroll in our online Autism Awareness course now, and get the training you need to truly help people and feel good about yourself.
After completing this course, you could:
- Volunteer to assist those with autism in learning environments
- Continue your education and become a special needs teacher
- Be better able to assist friends and famiy with autism
- Gain a more complete understanding of the challenges that those with autism face, and be a more empathetic and helpful advocate
To receive certification, you must:
- Complete every page of the course
- Score at least 55% on the exam at the end of the course
- That's it!
After successfully completing the course, you will immediately receive your PDF course certificate so you can instantly add it to your CV and display your achievement. You can also request a hard copy certificate to be sent to your postal address for a small printing and posting fee.
All our courses are accredited by the International Council for Online Educational Standards - www.icoes.org (accreditation number ICOES/00763/13/36). Most of our courses will earn you credits through Continuing Professional Development (CPD) / Continuing Education (CE). Check for the CPD logo on the course page.
CPD points are accepted and recognized by employers from both the public and private sectors, and academic institutions across the UK and internationally.
International Open Academy is also an officially approved TQUK (Training Qualifications UK) center, with the TQUK Center Number: C001157.
TQUK is a national awarding body recognized by the UK Government and regulated by Ofqual (The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation).
For further details, please visit https://internationalopenacademy.com/accreditation