Meet the expert
About the course
Design exquisite home interiors without leaving yours! Interior design is a stimulating and rewarding profession. It challenges your creativity, ingenuity, practicality and inspiration. It’s also great fun! Interior designers were once used only by the very wealthy. Now, interior design, particularly in the area of home styling, is widely sought after. People have busy lives and are prepared to incorporate the cost of a designer into home projects so they achieve an outstanding finish that’s professional & individual and get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Pleasing aesthetics, functional design, sustainability
Working through the layers and steps of interior design and home styling, this course will help develop your creative process so you make aesthetically pleasing design choices that fulfil your clients’ functional and personal design requirements. We guide you on how to visually communicate your ideas to your client.
We introduce you to the progressive approach of seeking sustainable and health enhancing styling. You’ll also get guidance on managing your interior design business in a professional way.
In your own space and time, develop the skills to come up with great interior solutions and concepts that manifest in elegant, stunning home styling. Begin your online interior design styling training with the IOA today.
What you will learn
Fundamentals, concepts & practical implementation of interior styling in this IOA Interior Design & Home Styling course, immerse yourself in the fundamentals, design concepts and practical implementation of this area of interior design. Learn:
- How to analyze a space for design
- What elements to consider first?
- What to take into account when choosing design features
- How to working with practical building features and utilities
- How to use a space & flow chart to plan your project
Once you’ve learned the design principles, created the structure to your project and formulated a design concept, it’s time to move on to the more fun elements of interior design.
We’ll take you through:
- Balancing space and function with style
- Choosing harmonizing/contrasting or feature materials for floors and walls
- Blending lighting with your overall design concept
- Using a color wheel to choose winning color combinations
- Choosing fabrics, textures & patterns that please clients senses
International Open Academy courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required to study with us. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you’re already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
Module 1: Introduction To Interior Design
- What is interior design?
- Qualities and skills of an interior designer
- Brief history of modern interior design
- Becoming an interior designer
- Descriptive design terms
- Meeting your clients
Module 2: Design Principles
- Define your tasks
- Interfacing with other disciplines
- Design concept
- Drawings and plans
- Six design principles
- Finding inspiration
Module 3: Project Overview
- Design steps
- Working with the team
- Payment strategies
- Project management tips
- Design evaluation
- Common design challenges
Module 4: Principles Of Design
- Colors, accessories, and their significance
- Spatial relationships and proportion
- Scale and balance
- Texture, patterns, and fabrics
- Line and form
- The user’s experience – sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch
Module 5: Design Elements - Specific Design Elements
- Choosing a suitable color scheme
- Choosing flooring and wall décor
- Choosing and placing furniture
- Choosing window dressings
- Choosing and placing lighting
- Choosing accessories and soft furnishings
Module 6: Room By Room Design
- Living room
- Kid’s room
Module 7: Popular Interior Styles
- Shabby Chic
- New York Style
- Parisian Style
- New England
Module 8: Sustainable Design
- Design and the environment
- Environmental policy
- Responsible sourcing of raw materials
- Climate change
- Health and safety
Module 9: Presenting Your Ideas
- Use of perspective
- Using the color wheel
- Pencil sketching
- Computer-aided design
- Mood boards
Module 10: Managing Interior Design Business
- Maintaining professional relationships
- Charging fees
- Preparing a portfolio
- Marketing your business
- Low-cost marketing techniques
- Setting up a website
- Social media
- Free PR
Who is this course for
This course is ideal for anyone who is interested in a career in interior design. Are you the stylish one in your group? Does everyone always compliment your eye, your attention to detail, the chic way you put together your living room? Then this is for you!
Enhance your skills and create your dream career with this course! Even if you simply want to dabble, and not charge for your amazing design ability, this course will allow you to take your interior design to the next level.
After completing this course, you could:
- Open your own interior design business
- Help friends and family with their interior design
- Get a job in the challenging and exciting field of interior design
- Increase your knowledge and skills, perhaps impressing your boss and earning a raise
To receive certification, you must:
- Complete every page of the course
- Score at least 55% on the exam at the end of the course
- That's it!
After successfully completing the course, you will immediately receive your PDF course certificate so you can instantly add it to your CV and display your achievement. You can also request a hard copy certificate to be sent to your postal address for a small printing and posting fee.
All our courses are accredited by the International Council for Online Educational Standards - www.icoes.org (accreditation number ICOES/00763/13/36). Most of our courses will earn you credits through Continuing Professional Development (CPD) / Continuing Education (CE). Check for the CPD logo on the course page.
CPD points are accepted and recognized by employers from both the public and private sectors, and academic institutions across the UK and internationally.
International Open Academy is also an officially approved TQUK (Training Qualifications UK) center, with the TQUK Center Number: C001157.
TQUK is a national awarding body recognized by the UK Government and regulated by Ofqual (The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation).
For further details, please visit https://internationalopenacademy.com/accreditation