Accounting & Bookkeeping
Meet the expert
About the course
Do you wish you had a better grasp on accounting?
Everyone, whether you wish to become an accountant or just know more about your personal and business finances, can benefit from a better understanding of accounting and bookkeeping.
The IOA Accounting & Bookkeeping course is designed to give you the basics you need to familiarize yourself with accounting and bookkeeping, to prepare yourself to begin a career in the field, and/or to become a better asset to your business. Wouldn’t you like to:
- Understand the financial side of your business better
- Get a head start on your career in accounting or bookkeeping
- Better understand how to plan for and prepare taxes
Our Accounting & Bookkeeping offers you the opportunity to learn more about accounting and bookkeeping and expand your horizons on your own time. Get through coursework anytime, anywhere. The IOA Accounting & Bookkeeping course will prepare you for better business practices and/or a career in the field.
What you will learn
The IOA Accounting & Bookkeeping course is specially designed to make this seemingly insurmountable topic accessible and easy. Our focused and specialized course modules will walk you through accounting and bookkeeping step-by-step, making sure you leave this course confident and ready to tackle the financial world. This course will focus on:
- The importance of basic accounting practices
- Keeping and balancing a business payroll
- Tracking business inventory and making sure everything adds up
- Keeping track of cash and balancing currency
- Proper bookkeeping practices
- Profit analysis and shareholder equity
- Reporting taxes and preparing your business for an audit (whether internal or external)
Get an IOA education on your own time
International Open Academy courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required to study with us. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you’re already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
Module 1: Beginning Accounting
- History of accounting
- Why is accounting important?
- Decisions you must make
- Jargon, or how to speak like an accountant
Module 2: Types Of Accounting
- Financial accounting
- Management accounting
- Tax accounting
Module 3: Making Sense Of Your Accounts
- Organization The accounting cycle
- Using computers for accounting
- How does computerized accounting work?
Module 4: Keeping Inventory And Tracking Sales
- Purpose of inventory
- Keeping up with inventory
- Keeping track of sales
- Balancing cash
Module 5: Controlling And Managing Expenses
- How to control expenses
- Balancing your payroll
- Long-term asset acquisitions
- Financial liabilities
Module 6: Avoiding Illegal Accounting
- Improper accounting procedures
- Avoiding shortcuts
- Famous accounting scandals
Module 7: Introduction Into Bookkeeping
- Importance of bookkeeping
- Single-entry bookkeeping
- Double-entry bookkeeping
Module 8: Proper Bookkeeping
- Balancing and testing your book
- How to adjust entries
- Financial statement preparation
- Profit analysis
- Liquidity, and how to test it
- Why is internal control important?
Module 9: Tracking & Reporting Taxes
- What are business taxes?
- How to report year-end numbers to the government
- Finishing and closing your books
Module 10: Handling An Audit
- External auditor
- Internal auditor
- Cost auditor
- Performance audit
- Quality audits
Who is this course for
This is an ideal course for those who:
- Want to work in the finance and accounting industries
- Own their own business and want to ensure all accounting and bookkeeping is done correctly
- Already do accounting and bookkeeping and wish to update their skills
- Are interested in the world of accounting and bookkeeping and wish to explore the various tasks that accountants are expected to do
- Wish to add value to their current job by bringing more skills to the table
- Are planning on opening a small business and want to increase their knowledge of accounting.
After completion of this course, you could:
- Take the next step to a career in accounting and bookkeeping
- Current employees in the accounting industry could earn a promotion or raise by increasing their skills and knowledge
- Confidently do the books and accounting for your own business, home, or other interests
- Increase profitability in your own business through an increased understanding of accounting and bookkeeping
To receive certification, you must:
- Complete every page of the course
- Score at least 55% on the exam at the end of the course
- That's it!
After successfully completing the course, you will immediately receive your PDF course certificate so you can instantly add it to your CV and display your achievement. You can also request a hard copy certificate to be sent to your postal address for a small printing and posting fee.
All our courses are accredited by the International Council for Online Educational Standards - www.icoes.org (accreditation number ICOES/00763/13/36). Most of our courses will earn you credits through Continuing Professional Development (CPD) / Continuing Education (CE). Check for the CPD logo on the course page.
CPD points are accepted and recognized by employers from both the public and private sectors, and academic institutions across the UK and internationally.
International Open Academy is also an officially approved TQUK (Training Qualifications UK) center, with the TQUK Center Number: C001157.
TQUK is a national awarding body recognized by the UK Government and regulated by Ofqual (The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation).
For further details, please visit https://internationalopenacademy.com/accreditation