Meet the expert
About the course
“View but her face, and in that little round you may observe a world of variety". John Ford
Did you know that a successful makeup artist can earn up to $100,000 per year and that the expected market growth is 13%, with 83,300 jobs expected to open before 2022?
And that the career opportunities are nearly endless? Whether you want to freelance at weddings, work in TV or cinema, in a beauty salon, become a writer or even a youtuber - the opportunities are enormous.
It's a fantastic and rewarding career where you get to make others look and feel beautiful and get paid to do so. And the best part is that you can easily adapt it to the lifestyle that best suits you.
If becoming a makeup artist is the career you've been dreaming about, then this course is the perfect foundation for you.
What you will learn
Learn professional makeup artistry with this comprehensive course on makeup. You'll develop a firm understanding of:
- Face shapes
- Skin tones
- Facial Features (which are incredibly important for a makeup artist at any level)
- Contouring makeup
- Choosing eye makeup shades
- Picking colors
- How to accent, highlight, and enhance the face
- Different types of products, tools, makeup brushes, and how to utilize them
- Information on skin care routines and best practices will help you keep skin healthy and beautiful
- How to build your makeup kit (for beginners and for advanced makeup artists)
- The best makeup tips for makeup application, removal, and more
Get hands-on skills that you can take immediately to the makeup table.
The primary goal of this makeup artist course is to ensure that you walk away with applicable skills that will help you no matter what you intend to do.
Some of the skills you'll learn include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Skin Care - Master skin care routines, makeup and foundation applications. Information on preparation and aftercare practices and techniques for skin health will help you make the right decisions for each client. With tips like applying makeup to oily skin, which products work for sensitive skin, and aftercare for dry skin, you'll learn to work with every skin type.
- Corrections - From applying foundation to using makeup contouring to shade and correct features based on face shape, you'll be able to smooth and correct any face. Tools - Build your makeup kit, select the best makeup tools, and learn how to use them
- Eyes And Brows - Learn to contour for different eye types, and learn how to flatter eye colors and shapes. You'll also learn critical information on shading and creating shapes using the natural brow.
- False Eyelashes - Applying false eyelashes and eyelash extensions requires much skill, and you'll learn that and more including initial application, maintenance, types, and safe removal.
- Makeup for different ages - Different ages require a different approach to makeup. Learn what makeup is more suitable for the different age groups.
- Makeup styles - Learn how to choose the right makeup for different occasions such as daytime, evening & parties.
Module 1: Skin Types
- Normal skin
- Combination skin
- Dry skin
- Oily skin
- Sensitive skin
- Determining skin type
- Makeup removal
- Skin care
Module 2: Contouring
- Skin tones and undertones
- Color correctors
- Contouring, highlighting, and strobing
- Different face shapes and enhancement techniques
- Tips and tricks
Module 3: Tools
- Introduction to tools
- Brushes: natural and synthetic
- Brush types
Module 4: Foundations And Corrections
- Types and textures
- Makeup allergy testing
- Correcting problem skin
- Choosing a foundation shade to suit skin tone
- Color wheel
Module 5: Color
- Identifying the correct color palette
- Eye color
- Skin tones
- Hair tones
Module 6: Eye Makeup
- Applying eye makeup to suit eye shapes
- Choosing eyeshadow to suit eye color
- Eye makeup: video tutorial
- How to apply eyeliner: video tutorial
- How to use an eyelash curler: video tutorial
Module 7: Eyebrow Grooming
- Eyebrows in general
- Corrections for eyebrows
- Eyebrow makeup: video tutorial
- Perfectly defined eyebrows
Module 8: Lip Makeup
- Types of lip products
- Lip types
- How to determine lipstick shades
- Lip makeup: video tutorial
Module 9: Makeup Styles
- Makeup for daytime
- Makeup for afternoon
- Makeup for evening and parties
- Smoky eyes
- Nude makeup
- Bridal makeup
- Makeup for the groom
Module 10: False Eyelashes And Eyelash Extensions
- Types of false lashes
- Practical use of false lashes
- Attaching false eyelashes
- Removing false eyelashes
- Introduction to eyelash extensions
- Kit required for eyelash extensions
- Step-by-step attachment of extensions
- Customer tips
- Maintenance sessions
Module 11: Makeup For Different Ages
- Women in their 20s
- Women in their 30s
- Women in their 40s
- Women in their 50s
- Women over 60
- Makeup mistakes that can age
Module 12: Health And Safety
- Cleaning and hygiene
- Stocking up
- Good practices for prevention of infection and contagion
Module 13: Creating Your Makeup Kit
- Personal kit
- The basic professional kit
- The complete professional kit
- Typical makeup kit pricing
- Our recommended products
Module 14: Getting Started
- The importance of having a license
- Staying on top of beauty trends
- Getting your makeup career off the ground
- Research before you begin
Who is this course for
For individuals interested in learning more about the exciting and challenging careers available for makeup artists. From high fashion and Broadway to hometown weddings, there is always a demand for skilled makeup artists.
Perhaps you'd like to become a beauty blogger, or simply improve your skills for personal use? This course will help any person learn foundational skills and build on them to achieve great results!
After you complete this course, you could:
- Represent a cosmetics company in demonstrating product use
- Apply makeup to fashion models using suitable catwalk theme
- Provide professional makeup to assist photographers and stylists
- Makeup for wedding parties
- Be a makeup artist on film sets and for theatre productions
- Provide a professional makeup service to individual clients
- Start a beauty blog, YouTube channel, or Instagram
To receive certification, you must:
- Complete every page of the course
- Score at least 55% on the exam at the end of the course
- That's it!
After successfully completing the course, you will immediately receive your PDF course certificate so you can instantly add it to your CV and display your achievement. You can also request a hard copy certificate to be sent to your postal address for a small printing and posting fee.
All our courses are accredited by the International Council for Online Educational Standards - www.icoes.org (accreditation number ICOES/00763/13/36). Most of our courses will earn you credits through Continuing Professional Development (CPD) / Continuing Education (CE). Check for the CPD logo on the course page.
CPD points are accepted and recognized by employers from both the public and private sectors, and academic institutions across the UK and internationally.
International Open Academy is also an officially approved TQUK (Training Qualifications UK) center, with the TQUK Center Number: C001157.
TQUK is a national awarding body recognized by the UK Government and regulated by Ofqual (The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation).
For further details, please visit https://internationalopenacademy.com/accreditation